SLFFVII RP Community
SLFFVII RP Community
October 30, 2014, 07:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please sign up to the new SLFFVII Social hub, for exclusive news from the GMs, chatroom functionality, image galleries and customizable profiles! http://slffvii.com/social/

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tutorial: SAM4 Broadcaster  (Read 1433 times)
Spa Wind
Turk
Red Mage

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2008, 05:57:12 AM »

Hello hello! Tutorial time! I'll make this as prompt and quick as possible.

First Loading SAM
When you first open SAM, you'll find lots and lots of windows. That's perfectly normal. However, you will want to change the layout slightly, so that you don't have to change during a set. In the bottom right hand corner, you should see a clock and a master volume control. Close them by clicking the little circle with a line through it (Where the X normally is on windows applications).

Next, on the top toolbar (File and so on), click Window and find Event Log and Encoders. They will both pop up on your screen and you position them where the old screens used to be. Hey presto! You can, obviously, change this after a few sets, but let me explain why having these two windows on your main deck is a good idea.

The Event Log tells you what's going on with SAM. It will show you if you have any streaming problems (A common one is that you can't upload fast enough, which cuts you off of the stream until the computer has a chance to catch up). It will also show you what your playing, and so on and so forth. Logs are also stored in the SAM Windows Directory, as far as I am aware.

Encoders is what you use to transmit. When you set up new transmission protocol, it will show up here (There will be a section about setting up encoders later on). The reason for having it on the main deck is the following: When you begin transmitting, your first song does not automatically play (Unless you have Auto-DJ mode on, which is a bad idea. Longer explination later.), so you will need to push play on your Encoder window, then push play on the first song you have in your Deck. Not only that, but if another DJ is due to take over, it makes -stopping- your transmission much easier.

Anyway, that's the layout sorted, so lets move on to the next step.

Microphone Settings
There are not that many settings you need to set up here. In truth, most of it is merely checking that things are working properly. In the Voice FX box (Automatically inserted in Desktop A, which is where I personally work from), click Config.

A box will pop up with various settings. The first thing you want to do is select "Encoders (Record to pipeline, skip output)". Personally, I find the sound of my own voice very distracting. This setting will stop you hearing your own voice, but allow you ease to transmit. Next, make sure that in Record Driver, you have DirectSound Driver selected and that in Record Soundcard Device, you have the microphone/headset selected (For me, it's Microsoft LiveChat LX-3000). Leave the rest of the settings alone and click OK. Then, click the Mic Off button (Which will turn into Mic On when you click it and then click Lock Talk. When you talk, the bars on the left hand side of that window will start bouncing around. You want to aim for -3 DB to -1 DB. Any lower than that and your voice will not be clear, any higher, and expect eardrums to burst.

If you are not getting the expected volume on your microphone, you will need to go back into config (Click the Mic On button again, or the option will not be available to you) and click the large Mixer button. Then, increase the volume of your microphone. Any more troubleshooting, contact me directly and we'll work through it.

That should be your microphone set up properly! Congrats! Now for the next part!

DJ Mode

Underneath the Window and Layout toolbar menu's, you should see a dropdown menu. You want this set up to Queue. Below is an explination to each setting:

Auto-DJ: Auto-DJ is good when your not at your computer and you need stuff put on for you, though if your doing a set, you shouldn't be doing that in the first place. It will take a random song you've put into your library and add it to your queue, then simply play it. This is exactly why you shouldn't use this setting, because it makes announcing the next song particularly difficult.

Queue: The recommended option, it will simply go through the songs you have queued and play them in sync. You know what the next song is going to be, so you can announce it and when you've run out of songs in your queue, it will stop playing. The only downfall is that if you forget to put more songs in your queue, you will get downtime, but that shouldn't happen.

Manual: Seriously not recommended. It will not auto-play anything and expect you to do it yourself by dragging songs into the deck and hitting play. It involves a lot of co-ordination and a hell of a lot of "Not paying attention to IMs and Local SL chat". So don't choose this setting, unless you don't expect to pay attention to SL.

With that set up, we're finally to Encoders...

Setting up your First Encoder
Sounds easy, but there is something to do BEFORE this. If you are running a multiple core system, which most of us are, then you will need to go to the following website:

http://www.free-codecs.com/LAME_ACM_Codec_download.htm

This link is for LAME MP3. The reason for this is that if you run a multiple core system, SAM will crash out completely when you start to encode unless you use this codec. Yay fun.  Cry In any case, download that codec (3.98.2) and install it. Then completely close out SAM and restart it, then your fixed! All done!

Actual Encoder Settings
When SAM opens up, go to your encoder bar and click the little plus box (Second button from the left). This will pop you up with a "Select Plugin" box. You want to select Legacy MP3 (ACM Codec) and then click okay.

You will go to the next box that has three tabs in it, but we'll start on the Converter tab. The first thing you want to do is click Choose Format, which will pop up with yet another window. In Format, choose Lame MP3 and in Attributes, you want 44100 Hz, 128 kbps CBR, Stereo. This is what I run at on Mirages Servers, but Greg's output may be 96 kbps or even 64, which I truly hope it isn't. In any case, this can be changed later as necessary. Click OK.

Click the tab Server Details and you'll see lots of epic little text boxes.

Server Address= xx.xxx..xx..x.x.x..
Server Port= 38458635
Password= password

(Not real server details to stop others going on)
(If your a DJ - See DJ board for server details)

Add those settings here, but input them MANUALLY, since SAM has this love of wanting to add a space on the end and screwing around with your brain. On the other side, you'll see Station Details. Instead of explaining each part, I'll do a little list and explain what each one should say. If they are not mentioned, leave them alone:

Station Name: The name of your show. For me, it's Spanning The Ages.
   Genre: Your shows Genre. It's a dropdown box, so choose from there.
   Website URL: Either www.slmidgar.com or the direct radio website URL.

Leave the rest of the settings alone on that side. Furthermore, in Stream Archive, unless you want to totally log what your doing, leave it alone. Click OK.

And that is SAM totally set up and ready to go! Sorry if this tutorial is a bit long, but let me quickly explain how to play a song or two with the settings I've given you.

Playing your First Tracks
In the Queue box (Automatically on Desktop A), click the green plus symbol. This will pop up with an open box. Find the song you want to add then double click, and it will be added.

Alternatively, you can have your music folder open in Windows itself, and drag and drop the songs you want to add directly to the queue. Either works, it just depends on preference. Personally, I use both, dependant on how much time I have to find a few songs to add while streaming.

Then, drag the first song onto one of your Decks (A or B, doesn't matter in the slightest where you start from) and click the play button (A little blue button on the far left, just above the song progress bar). Then you'll be playing a song! Then, quite simply, you leave it alone. The program will automatically put the next song in your queue to your free deck and play it when the currently playing song is finished, or near to finishing, since it has fade options automatically on.

And thus concludes my tutorial.

(Edit: Server detials removed)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:02:58 AM by Greg Stella » Logged

Other Main Characters
Freya Feltice
Kiera Silvenost
Rufus Shinra
Vice President
Holy Swordsman

"I'll control the world with fear."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »

Thank you!! This is exactly what I needed. I've been messing with SAM for weeks getting used to transitioning songs and such. And I WONDERED if there was a way to make it so I couldn't hear myself talk, cuz that does distract me.

Thanks again!

Wii Friend Code: 6725 1729 8479 0588
Yahoo!: onsdale3
MSN: captaincidman@hotmail.com

Spa Wind
Turk
Red Mage

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »

*smiles* I'm glad it's come to use for you <3

Other Main Characters
Freya Feltice
Kiera Silvenost
Spa Wind
Turk
Red Mage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »

Added the server details.

Other Main Characters
Freya Feltice
Kiera Silvenost
Winza Nakamura
AVALANCHE

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:38:18 PM »

In 3 years using SAM2, 3 and 4, I have never had to download any extra codecs and neither have anyone I've trained to use SAM. I think perhaps you made a boo boo there. I have a dual core system and even using SAM2, the codecs that came build into it's installer work fine on my system and I DJ twice a week every week. If you don't believe me, ask Aeon whom I helped set up for a show last night. He didn't need to download the codec and went on the air fine (once he realized what the fade to next button was).

Btw, if anyone wants a live tutorial of how to use SAM once it's installed, send me an IM in game and if I'm not busy with my own show or raising hell in Midgar or Junon as a monster of some sort, I'll come over and show you what to do.
Katiroth
Holy Swordsman

My fall will be for you

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »

Ah, but I couldn't do anything with my Sam4 until I did get the codecs. I tried without them first.

When I'm free
When my sun has set
Released my soul forever
I'll have no regret
To be free
I'll exist again
No more lost endeavors
Nothing to contend
When I'm free
Rabbite
AVALANCHE
Mage

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »

I actually can only do it with built in codecs. The downloaded ones failed to work for me.

MAIN CHARACTERS

//Rabbite Kanno, Serina Kanno\\

SECONDARY CHARACTERS

//Chiizu Kekki, Sahria Lust, Joshua Morgan\\
Griff Beeks
AVALANCHE
Freakin' Sweet

The Rainbow Kitsune~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »

I can't seem to get my mic Set up, it comes out really low and distorted when i hear the feed back, i ca't get the bars to hit 1-3 only like 15

(Edit: Help?)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 09:07:52 AM by Griff Beeks » Logged

Raziel: "You said it yourself, Kain, there are only two sides to your coin."

Kain: "Apparently so, but suppose you throw a coin enough times; suppose one day...it lands on its edge."

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

Main Characters:

Blaze Hikaru - AVALANCHE Leader & Medical Div. Leader (Hero)
Mizuki Saki - Wutai Cresent Ninja
Cirdan Culnamo - AVALANCH Elite
Lance Byre - AVALANCHE Elite

Secondary Characters:

Cylios Undinia - Shin-Ra - Sergeant
Alepo'i Kwan - AVALANCHE Rebel
Dr. Satoru Yantai - AVALANCHE Sentinel (Elite)
Shuichi Ash - Avalanche Elite
Belasko Kuro - AVALANCHE Raven
Xin - Wutai Ninja
Luna Votta - AVALANCHE Elite (Gurdian)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

BlackRain_Alt 2011 by , Crip Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid! XHTML